Previous summary of why I created my “30 Before 30” Blog below. Now in 2016 – it’s on to even bigger and better things! New list in development at the bottom. You can read the one from 2012 in the meantime 🙂
I’ve made a lot of to do lists and mental notes of things I want to accomplish in both the near and distant future over the years.
What finally prompted me to write all this down in an organized list and share it was a series of events in early January 2012. It started with my first Bikram yoga class. I loved it – it was incredibly challenging to stay in this super hot and humid room but I felt accomplished afterwards. I had heard of 30 day yoga challenges where you practice 30 times over 30 days and I decided to give it a try. That same week, my friend Rosine suggested that we check out a clothing sale. The pre-2012 me would have jumped on it because let’s face it, I love clothes and I love a good deal even more! But, I had made decided that 2012 was my year to stay committed to saving money! And so, rather than take her up on this tempting offer, I posed a challenge: that we should both refrain from shopping for one month, aka 30 days. She was game and we brainstormed a few rules together such as, ‘socks don’t count’. A few minutes later, I had the same conversation about not shopping for 30 days with another friend at work! At this point, I told them both that if one of us purchased something during this time frame, we were obliged to tell the other and then be shamed! Because nothing works better than social consequences!
Within mere days I had two 30 day challenges!
Combine that with:
As I approached my mid twenties, I started trying activities that I had put off previously for time/money constraints (ie. dance lessons). Also realizing that I was getting closer in age to 30 than to 20, I began to put in writing a few things I wanted to accomplish over the next few years.
One of those things was to start a blog, so with all the 30 day challenges that I was taking on (all 2 of them!) I decided to complete a “30 things I want to accomplish before I’m 30” list and blog about it 🙂
My List, in no particular order:
1) Complete a 30 day Bikram Yoga Challenge
2) Go storm watching
3) Try surfing
4) Learn enough French to be able to carry a decent conversation (Kind of – via multiple trips to France)
5) Throw a dinner party
6) Visit the South Pacific Atolls and stay in a bungalow
7) Go in a hot air balloon (In Cappadocia Turkey!)
8) Go to Africa and Climb Mount Kilimanjaro (or another awesome hike!)
9) Public speaking: Give a toast/speech/ speak on a panel
10) Run a 10 K race in under 1 hour or a 5 K under 27 min
11) Start a blog
12) Take dance lessons
13) Land a 180 jump snowboarding
14) Try Archery
15) Volunteer (on a regular basis); Participate on a Committee /Board
16) Get my Hong Kong Identity Card
17) Paint (artistically and a wall)
18) Hang-gliding – something that gives me the experience of flying (Paragliding, Parasailing next?)
19) See ruins (ie. Angkor Wat)
20) Go ziplining
21) Learn more about wine – discover my favourite
22) Get more serious about photography (buy an SLR and learn to use it. organize/participate in a photoshoot)
Go rock climbing (Level 1, 2, 3, 4 honeycomb at the hive) conquer my fear of heights! Via Ferrata (a form of outdoor “climbing”)
24) Play a song on the piano
25) Relearn swimming
26) Buy a house
27) Perform on stage (dance)
28) See more natural wonders of the world (eg. Iguazu Falls)
29) Take my family on vacation/ organize a family trip/reunion – Getting Married and Organizing my Wedding in France fulfilled a lot of this!!
30) Further my education/ professional development
31) Do a chin-up, pull-up
32) Win a trophy (Ultimate Frisbee 2008, Field Hockey Champions 2012, 2015:) Visit as many of Hillman’s Top 100 Wonder’s of The World (eg.
Angkor Wat, Great Wall of China, Eiffel Tower, Mont. St Michel, Forbidden City, Acropolis, Grand Canyon, Rio Panoramic View, Petra, Santorini, Amalfi Coast, Serengeti Migration, Ngorongoro Crater, Cappadocia, Jersusalem Old City)
34) Organize my 10 Year High School Reunion
35) Grouse Grind in < 60, <56 min
36) Celebrate Chinese New Years in China (related to #29 – family trip)kind of 😉
37) 30 Day – No “dessert” Challenge (
38) Win a photo contest
39) Get published
2016 Updated List!!! (In addition to things I wasn’t able to cross off above)
1) SouthWest US Road Trip (Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon, Monument Valley, The Wave, Buckskin Gulch)
2) Take my mom on a trip
3) Take a Food and Travel Writing Class -Submit a query letter and get published
4) Win a video contest
5) Present at a conference
6) Get abs haha!
7) Sleep in a treehouse
8) Sleep under the stars
9) Sleep in an igloo